Embroidered Insects


I just got a book in the mail I wanted to share with you.  Michele Carragher mentioned The Stumpwork Goldwork and Surface Embroidery Beetle Collection on her website in connection with her creation of the beautiful embroidered beetles for Xaro Xhoan Daxos and the other characters from Qarth in Game of Thrones.  And since I've been fascinated with these embroidered insects I thought I'd look for the book.  It's a massive book with lots of illustrations and step by step instructions for a multitude of insects.  And not just a multitude of types but also of techniques, beaded insects, redwork, goldwork, stumpwork, surface embroidery, it's a cornucopia of embroidered bugs.  She even has a few projects for making purses in insect shapes or using beetlewings.  It's a book dense with techniques and projects but something insectaphobes should stay far away from!


I have many projects in my que at the moment but am really looking forward to trying my hand at some of these beetles some day.





Comments