Thursday, September 27, 2012

Drapery-ing

My friend Alyxx came over last night to sew so I actually got some work done on the curtain gown - yay!  I did what I usually do and used the Period Impressions Polonaise pattern as my 18th C body block and modified it to have back pieces similar to this gown in the V& A's collection and in the book Fashion in Detail. 

 I cut the skirts separate from the bodice and made them longer in the back to go over the bumroll and have a slight train effect.  I need to attach to bodice to the skirts (they are just pinned now) and sleeves to the bodice and do the hooks and bars down the front then I am done!

One of the nice things I discovered is that 2 curtain panels are enough fabric to eek out a gown with elbow length sleeves AND have enough fabric left over for a jacket.

I don't think this would work without a lot of piecing for someone larger than me (I'm 5'9 and about a size 14 in sewing patterns, 10/12 in off the rack) but I thought those of you joining the curtain-a-long might like to know this.

Bits and bobs

It's been a while I know!  Real life has been interfering with blogging a bit recently but I expect things to calm down quite a bit come Monday...

In the meantime I have a few things other people posted on my reading list that I thought I'd pass along.  Fran Grimble posted a link to a wonderful electronic swatchbook of fabric from the 1830s through the 1920s.  What a cool thing to be able to bring up on a smartphone while fabric shopping!

And danabren on Livejournal posted a link to a nice instructible on making ribbon or fabric cockaids.  While I've made a few of these before I really liked the look of the one and thought you might too. Just FYI this is from the instructable, I haven't tried my hand at this method yet.  :)