Thursday, May 7, 2015

80 inches and counting

I managed to get a little for the trim on Cersei's sleeves done yesterday.  One sleeve's worth to be exact.  In addition to all the embroidery and beading on this dress there is a lot of self fabric trim - piping and strips made of the metallic fabric used to line the sleeves, as well as piping and strips of the paisley fabric.  You can see what I'm talking about in the photo to the right.

So I spent a few hours yesterday cutting bias strips and making a boatload of metallic and paisley piping.  Then I cut strips of both fabrics and started to put it all together.

 I'm going to sew this trim onto the blue sleeve wrong sides together along the gold piping edge then flip and iron it so that when I insert the sleeve lining none of this will show because there will be blue fabric behind it.  I hope that makes sense.  :P

I had to cut the paisley fabric on the bias to get enough of the pattern to show up on the strips. This worried me a bit since the gold fabric is on the straight but it seems to be working out so far.  I'm so glad I had so much fabric left over after cutting out the sleeves and the side panels, all this trim eats of fabric very quickly!  I wish my metallic we a little more bronze like the original but I was working with stash fabrics and this was as close as it got.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Spoonflower Fabrics

I love Spoonflower, I don't use it very often but there are so many wonderful fabrics for costumers on it.  I've been thinking I need the Effie Trinket Butterfly dress and figured someone on Spoonflower must have created a good monarch butterfly print I could use as a base and sure enough, the perfect print was there.

It's been a little while since I last ordered from Spoonflower and they have a few new fabric since the last time I checked it out.  Satin, faux suede and minky are just a few of the new fabrics you can have them custom print.  I've learned the hard way to always get swatches, this is really important for scale and color, but also to make sure it's the right weight and drape for your project.  I got three swatches of butterfly fabric. I think I like the satin best- it's really shiny and has a bit of stiffness which I need for this project.

 From left to right: satin, cotton sateen, silky faille



Not sure you can tell from the photo but the silky faille and the satin are much more vivid and clearly printed than the cotton sateen. And here's a close up of the satin which has a bit of sparkle to it:



My thought is to use this base fabric and then cut out some wings from the scraps of the fabric to fuse on top of it to make it look a little more 3 dimensional then use those feathered butterflies you see at Michaels for the scarf/neckline and hat.

If you are interested in reading a more in depth review of Spoonflower's different fabrics check out Bonnie Phantasm's excellent write up here.  Bonnie has also created some wonderful repro's of various film costume fabrics as well as beautiful large butterfly wings that would be perfect for a fairy costume.

I also have another more in depth blog post about Spoonflower from a while back with  a run down of some of my favorite Spoonflower designers for costumers.