Friday, May 16, 2014

Italian Mesh Ribbon

So I ordered a few samples of the Italian Mesh Ribbon the Michele Carragher has used in some of her Game of Throne embroidery (like Cersei's red dress) and I thought I'd share some pictures of it with you so you can get an idea of what it's like.  It comes in a variety of widths but regardless of width all of the ribbon is essentially a metal mesh tube.  And all widths have the same property - you can stretch and pull it to create amazing net designs.  This stuff is really, really cool.


This makes it really useful for creating curved designs without having to pleat and for creating 3 dimensional effects.  I don't know a whole lot about historical embroidery techniques or materials so I can't speak for the historical accuracy of the ribbon but I can imagine many fantasy costumes being embellished with it.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bits and Bobs

*  Andrea Schewe of Simplicity has a great post on modifying a basic costume pattern to make a girl's version of Elsa's dress from Frozen.  Let it Sew!

* Most of you have heard of the Historical Sew Fortnightly, that may even be how you found me in the first place,  but did you know there was a Historical FOOD Fortnightly?  Historical chefs, foodies and butter churners take note!

* Rookie Mag has a great tutorial on dying with RIT using a variety of materials.

There's a cool post up from Rococo Atlier on transitional stays, it's nice to see more on this garment.

* Did you know you can make dress pins from jewelry findings?  Neither did I!

* National Garment Cutter from 1888 is on the Internet Archive, you can save it as a pdf, view online or save as an ereader file, great for those summer bustle plans!

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Nearing the end

Finally in the home stretch with my Myth Masque stuff, and thank goodness because I'm relaly chomping at the bit to start on my Cersei stuff!

I have my husband's vest is nearly done, I just need to put the buttonholes in and the buttons on.  And am very close with my costume, I need to put in the grommets for lacing up the back, add a bit more trim to the bodice and finish monkeying with the skirt.  I really want to make a little pitchfork prop too. I have a dowel that's just about the right size but need to figure out a design for the pongs...

And the wings are done!  I ended up needing two coats of red paint to get it unform and the color I wanted but I think they look pretty awesome.