Victorian Mix n' Match

I had so much fun at the Victorian Ball I went to recently that I'm already making plans for the next one!

I took a look in my closet and realized that the underskirt for my old "Water" Victorian fancy dress costume could make a nice base for a new ballgown. AND in the stash I had not only enough fabric for a new bodice but two other fabrics which coordinated rather well with it, yes!

 So I'm nearly done with both the bodice and the overskirt. I need to make sleeves and finish these pieces and there is a lot more of what I call "frosting" aka trimming, bows etc, to put on, but the basic shapes are nearly done.


The idea was to give the gown a sort of Indian feel.  I have plans to have some wide ribbon to decorate the side ruching and a lot of other little decorative bits I need to play around with.

The other coordinating fabric is the same light green silk that I used in the under gown in my Lost Hope Fairy.  And the striped silk is the same as the aqua Regency open robe I made a few years back, hooray for using the stash!


  1. Lovely! That's how they did it, skirts and day/evening bodices to mix and match. They may have been extravagant in their skirts but canny in their add-ons. So happy you are looking forward to the next ball.

    1. Thank you! I love that idea, maximize the wardrobe while taking up less space! Hopefully I can stay longer this time!

  2. Love the colors and also the Indian influence!

  3. It's gorgeous, Loren! I can't wait to see the ready dress! The ribbon would be just great for this dress. You look dazzling, you know! I'm sure the ball was amazing.
    Merry Christmas,
    Commented on Pretty As We Are at

  4. OH how fabulous this is going to look! I love that shade of blue...


Post a Comment