Thursday, April 23, 2015

Cersei Birds Progress

I've been slowly working on the Cersei birds dress. I'd decided a while back that in order to conserve fabric I'd be cutting the bodice and skirts separately.  That wasn't how they were really done, but it's easier to fit, saves on fabric and is covered up with a belt.

 Anyway, I'd cut the bodice out a while ago but needed to rejigger it with the weight I'd lost, so today was a lot of fiddly fitting bits but I think I've got it right now.  I had one of those iron-spits-on-your fabric horror moments but I've got enough fabric to cut another bodice and the spit-upon bodice will now be the bodice lining.  Whew.

I'm going to make this an actual wrap dress this time so I can keep the side panels seamless, I think I should be able to do that by just cutting two of the center front skirts.  Although the skirt bit that gets wrapped under may be pieced to save on fabric. I cut the sleeves out and man, are they massive!  I ran out of fabric on the Cersei mourning gown so my sleeves were a tad skimpier than I would have liked, but these ones are HUGE!

My plan is to put parts of the dress together and hoop (if possible) them while I sew the embroidered motifs and beading on.  Because the embroidery runs over the seams it really has to be at least somewhat constructed first.  Then I'll put the lining in so all those stitches will be covered on the inside. I fray-checked around all the embroidered birds and then cut them out to create "patches,"  just like I did with the lion motifs.  I pinned a few of them on and I gotta say, I'm liking it!


I'm a little differently shaped from my dress form so you'll just have to trust me when I say this fits me rather well.  :P

3 comments: