Effie's Trinkets: Reaping costume neckband and hat

So I was going to enter these accessories in the HSF but I came to the conclusion that while there are some real historical costume accessories related to these trinkets of Effie's (more on that in a moment) they probably aren't really close enough to count.  Oh well, they were a nice Valentine's day set of projects to work on that got me that much closer to my Effie costume.

Speaking of which here's the costume in question, Effie Trinket's Reaping Day one from the first Hunger Games movie:



What's interesting about this shot is that in the high res version you can see that the hat is made out of felt.  Felt hats and floral decorations have been around a while but I can't say I found any historical examples that were just one big honking flower, so no go for the HSF.  I didn't use any pattern for this, I just winged it, cutting out slightly irregular petal shapes, sometimes pleating the bottom, and sewing them together.


It's really closer to the color of the one in the movie, my iphone just can't capture it when there's so much light out.

Effie's neck ribbon, and in fact this whole outfit with the big sleeves, reminded me somewhat of the girls Toulouse-Lautrec painted in Paris in the 1890s.  But when I went down the rabbit hole of researching those Moulin Rouge/Folies Bergere girls I found that what in my memory was a black neck ribbon with flowers attached was really a black neck ribbon with a bow or a buckle or dress flowers next to their neck ribbon.  Probably won't stop me from using this as an accessory for that French dance hall girl costume I'm feeling I must now one day make, but I thought you'd like to know...

Anyway, here's another shot of Effie Trinket's neck ribbon:


I wanted to capture the feeling of this but just use flowers I already had in the stash.  Luckily for me my fabric flower stash is um, more than adequate!  I liked the way Effie's flowers colors changed from pale taupes and mauves to bright fuschias and hot pinks so I tried to mimic that in my colors.


Next on the Effie list - making a mock up for her jacket...

P.S.   I realized the necklace actually does fit another challenge I've been participating in - Trystan's Accessorizing from Head to Toe.   The February challenge is Jewelry and while this isn't sparkly it does count as bling! 


Comments