|The dress before I added the sleeves|
Sorry about that. From October through December is a super busy time for us as a family with lots of birthdays and school events and I find I just don't blog as much during this time.
But I have been sewing!
Some friends invited me to a Victorian Grand Ball to be held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving so I decided at the last minute to make something I'd wanted to make for a while - a Daniel Deronda inspired Ballgown.
There aren't a whole lot of photos of this gown Gwendolyn wears in the BBC Daniel Deronda miniseries, this one below is maybe the most easily found one:
I had a ton of black green changable silk taffeta in the stash for forever and figured this was the perfect opportunity to use it. I think I had 10 yards and after adding all the ruffles I ended up with about 2 yards left. Although I do have another green/black silk taffeta in almost the same color so I figure I can use that if I want to make more pieces to mix and match with this outfit.
I wanted it to resemble the gown but not be exactly the same, the neckline trim seems very girlish to me and as a 40-mumble women it seemed a bit much. So I just trimmed the edge with a narrow black beaded trim and flounces of self fabric on the underskirt and apron.