Historical Sew Monthly: Stash Busting - Floral Print Gown
I have a feeling I'm not going to get much done for the Historical Sew Monthly this year, I just have so many projects with deadlines I need to work on and not all of them can work for the challenges but I'll take them where I can!
I bought this fabric on sale at Michael Levine in 2011 with the idea of making an 18th C chintz gown. I don't know if this particular pattern is true to period but it looked close to me and I loved the colors so I got enough to make a gown and matching flounced petticoat.
I've always been a bit vexed with my shape in gowns of this era - bumrolls never seem to give me enough of the side width but pocket panniers are too flat in the back. So, as an experiment, I put both on my dress form and was pretty happy with the look. This was an easy gown to make since I just used my basic 18th C body block and petticoat shapes, just a little tweaking was needed to accommodate the bumroll/pocket hoops comb shape. I pleated some sheer ribbon I had in the stash for the neckline and the sleeve ruffles and paired with with an old sash, my American Duchess Antoinette mules and my Lunardi hat.