Thursday, November 13, 2014

Bits and Bobs

I've been very busy lately but will try to post more, sorry for the silence!

* Locks of Elegance has a great tutorial up on how to create a gorgeous curly Late Victorian hairdo, the perfect thing for that holiday ball.

* Have great historical shoes but need some stockings to go with them?  The Pragmatic Costumer has a great write up on Modern Stockings with Historical Flair.

* B*tch Pelisse! has another brilliant Dollar Store costuming hack, this time she creates some mitts and lovely stockings, check it out.

*  It's heresy amongst many costumers, I know, but I never liked the Little House on the Prairie TV show.  I'd read all the books before the series came out and I couldn't reconcile the 70s vibe of the show with how I'd imagined things.  It turns out that Laura's real life was very different from her books as well.  A new book, Pioneer Girl, publishes Wilder's original manuscript of her girlhood with additional research that adds even more new details to Laura's life.


4 comments:

  1. Great links! That Pioneer Girl book is heading to my Christmas list for sure! And the late-Vict. hairstyle tutorial is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same with Little House. I'd bought all her books with my pocket money, and the TV show just wasn't any of them. {shudder}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I wasn't the only one! The TV Pa was sooo 1970s - and didn't have a beard! And Laura lost all the nuance of book Laura and mostly was just whiney to me. I much prefer the books and the charming Garth Williams illustrations.

      Delete