Cartoon costume madness! Or Sonic and Angry Birds and Ariel, oh my!

I hadn't realized it until I started to put this post together but all my current costume projects are animated! 

First there's the kids.  I'm trying to get the jump on Halloween this year and get the kids costumes done EARLY for once.  So I asked them what they wanted to be and started work NOW so I could be done soon  --and they wouldn't have time to change their minds!  J wants to be Sonic the Hedgehog and H wants to be the bomb bird from Angry Birds.  I went shopping for Bomb bird fabric today at JoAnn's and sometime this week J and I will go back and buy fabric for Sonic. 

There is an Angry Birds costume tutorial here which I used to get my supplies together and as the basis for the design.  I measured a bit,  just little H's head to knee length and arms outspread, but mostly just winged this (pun intended) cutting out pieces of colored paper and playing around with them for the face and using a string and a piece of tailor's chalk to draw a circle.  The outer fabric is no-pill fleece, the inner is stretch cotton broadcloth and the face is felt.  I think this will go together pretty easily and I should be able to finish up Bomb in the next day or so.

Sonic will be a bit more difficult.  After looking at a lot of Sonic costumes online and thinking about the comfort requirements of a 7 year old I thought a hood with eye holes would be the way to go, sort of like this.  I can put white make up around her eyes and black on her nose but a full mask is just too much.  I'm going to buy (and if needed dye) a tank top and pj/long johns in Sonic blue for her body then buy fleece to match for the hood.  I'll buy or make cartoony gloves and make over-sized shoe covers and my little lightning fast hedgehog should be done!

It won't be my Halloween costume (not sure what I'll wear when they boys are trick or treating, maybe Jessie again or Luna or Rita from Harry Potter?) but I've been working a bit on Historic Ariel.  I got the TV 1905 circular skirt pattern and I think it's going to be perfect for it, with the added bonus of being pretty freaking easy.  I made a mock up of the skirt decoration pattern which I think I will applique on in something like an organza.  I also got a wig which I think will be just about perfect.

I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Comments